Friday, January 20, 2006

Idli Sambar


Today my Indian culinary experience continued. I've always loved Indian food, ever since I dated someone from India in high school. But now I'm having the chance to try real Indian food three times a day. My favourite so far has been learning what they eat for breakfast. On the first day we had idli sambar. Idli are these sort of round steamed cakes made of rice and lentils in a 3-to-1 ratio. The rice and lentils are ground together and then shaped into balls and then steamed. The sambar is mixture of vegetables in a sauce, or maybe more accurately it's a soup. If you're curious, here's a recipe.

This morning we had paratha which is a kind of round, grilled flat bread cooked on a grill. It was stuffed with a thin layer of potatoes and spices. It was absolutely delicious!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

*maki-girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home