Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Country Mouse


If you've been reading hoagie boy's blog, then you know that I'm visiting him right now and we're attending the American Astronomical Society conference. I feel like I'm in that children's story about the "City Mouse" and "Country Mouse." It's amazing just how differently people in cities dress, eat, converse, text message ... compared to people in the country. Well, I know that's a very simplified observation, and that part of it is that it's different parts of the country and slightly different climates but that's not the whole story. As much as I like all that the city has to offer, I don't think I could actually live here. But I know people feel just the same when they come to visit more rural areas.

As a "country mouse" my big test is coming up soon enough--in a week I'll be in Mumbai which has a population of about 18 million. Yes, that's right, 18 million. That is over half the population of Canada in one city! It's more than 18 Vermonts. I cannot even fathom that many people. I can't even deal with the thousands of astronomers at this week's conference. But, then again, I am sure all the people in Mumbai aren't telling bad astronomy jokes and wearing questionable attire and competing to see who can look "smartest" and "most important." I hope the Washington Post fashion/gossip columnist is visiting the conference so they can get an eyefull of how bad it can get.

*maki-girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home