Saturday, January 07, 2006

Brokeback Mountain


So the third film I just saw is Brokeback Mountain which has been receiving a lot of press lately. It's about two young men in Wyoming who are taking care of sheep for the summer up on Brokeback Mountain. It's 1962 and they fall in love with each other. But it's 1962 and they live in Wyoming and are ranchers. (Oh, again, if you're into directors, it's done by Ang Lee.)

There are ton(ne)s of reviews out on this film, including the ones here. There's lots of buzz about the gay sex scenes in a mainstream movie. (Although, if you ever watch Queer as Folk this is nothing.)

But since this is my blog, let me tell you what I liked about that movie. I walked out of it in a trance, wanting to see it again. It was very powerful, as much as for what the characters said as for what they didn't say. I felt utterly moved by what had happened in the last two hours. The scenes of the mountains were majestic, the musical score was perfect. I felt like it had happened to me. I felt like I had really gotten into their skin and fought the demons they fought.

I loved how this film really showed us what the characters felt without having to use a word. I wish that it could be that simple sometimes, that people could be honest with their feelings and just live them instead of talking about them. But, then again, these cowboys found how costly it can be to be honest.

Go see it.

*maki-girl

4 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard on the news there is a mountian in Vermont they want to call Brokeback mounatin, did you hear of this?

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunlightat50@webtv.net let me know if you heard of this news item about the mountain in vermont.

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEs, it's Brokeback Mountain, Vermont at www.brokebackmountainvermont.com

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to disrespect the writer, the movie, or gay people in general, but naming a mountain after a movie is the dumbest idea ever. Unless the mountain is called, 'Escape From Witch.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home